Thursday, August 4, 2016

A Letter to 31

Dear 31,

You're how old I'll be as of Saturday. I sometimes don't see how that's possible. At times, I still feel like I'm 16, I'm high school, and ready to take on the world.

Once upon a time, I was bummed at the thought of potentially not being with my family on my birthday this year. 

Ever since my dad passed away, the day has left a slight twinge of sadness in my heart. It's the "big" days like my birthday, when I miss my dad the most and just really don't want to be alone. 

But, due to various reasons, I chose to come back to Dakar earlier than originally planned, meaning I would indeed be in Dakar on my birthday.

And  knowing how I'd be feeling on Saturday, I chose to plan the day in advance. This way, I could guarantee I'd spend it with friends and co-workers and surrogate families ;)

I have lunch plans with a big group of people. I have dinner plans with my "family away from family." I have a Skype call planned with my mom. And all in all, I think it's going to end up being a great day! 

Honestly, I don't feel any older. But I feel good. I'm getting healthier. I'm honestly just loving life. I am. 

In terms of work... I feel like I'm finally hitting my stride in teaching and in my role in helping to fulfill The Great Commission. I love my job and am so incredibly lucky blessed to be able to follow my passion and do what I love! 

Educationally speaking... I'm in the middle of my last 6 classes needed to become ordained with the A/G. I'm studying through a book/DVD program, trying my hardest to learn enough ASL to (at the very least) have a decent conversation with someone. I'm researching all I can to help me in prepping for a new(-ish) teaching strategy that will be so incredibly beneficial to my 5th graders this year. It all keeps me busy. That's for sure. But I like being busy. I do.

Spiritually speaking... I feel like I'm at a stage where I just can't get enough of the Word. I can sit for hours and hours, with my Bible open, flipping back and forth, reading and studying. I love this hunger deep in my soul that has grown over time. 

Are things perfect? No, of course not. Do I wish I were married and had children and a white picket fence? Yes, definitely. *Well, maybe not a white picket fence, but you get the idea... ;)

But you know... I honestly can say that I'm happy. I truly am. I love my life and am blessed so amazingly more than I deserve.

So to end this letter... 

31, I think you're going to be a great year. I can't wait to see what awesomeness you have for me. I pray I treat you well,

No comments:

Post a Comment