Thursday, July 9, 2015

6 Years


That was my Facebook status 6 years ago today. Who could've imagined how my life would go over the next 6 years? 

It was exactly 20 days after that post that we loaded my car and headed to the airport. I was headed to Dakar, Senegal. 


And you know what? The minute my feet hit the ground, I knew I was home. How could that happen? Simple. God.


The majority of my 5 years in Dakar was spent here. Dakar Academy was (is) an awesome place to work. I have so many fond memories from my time at DA.


There was the time I learned a flooded soccer field could provide quite the fun afternoon for kids and adults alike...



One of my proudest memories as a teacher was the time my very first class came to read to my (then) current class. To see some kids who couldn't speak English, less alone read it, when they first arrived, come back and do this... Well, my heart melted :)


And then I started Kids Club and found that while my Wednesday afternoons became busier, they were so much more enjoyable and rewarding. 


My last year at DA, I taught ESL, which had me working with kids from 1st through 12th grades. It was a new challenge, but one I thoroughly enjoyed.


And of course my time at DA wouldn't have been the same without co-workers who became lifelong friends...


Also during that time, I was working with the Assemblies of God. I got to visit some of our AG churches, share a lesson on a mighty woman of God, visit pastors and families, and get to know some of the greatest missionaries around :)


In the past 6 years, I've been able to do quite a bit of traveling. I visited 3 new European countries. And I visited two new African countries as well. 

I also got to do quite a bit of traveling in my own country. I've been to NYC, DC, and even Disney World/Animal Kingdom. I've visited NASA's former headquarters, the Duck Commander Warehouse, Graceland, the Edmund Pettis Bridge, and the Unclaimed Baggage Center, among other things. 




I've said far too many sad goodbyes and countless happy hellos. 



I lost my grandfather...


...and more recently, my dad.


...and a few other relatives as well.

I've been promoted to the title of Zizzie, a title given to me by my eldest niece, who when joined with her sister, become the duo known as my absolute two favorite girls :)


In the past 6 years, I've seen amazing growth in my sense of pride as an American, an Alabamian, and a Southerner.




I've even blessed numerous times over the past 6 years in ways one can't even imagine. ...like the dentist who did thousands of dollars worth of work to fix my smile all for FREE!


...or the church who sent me a suitcase weighing well over 100lbs, full of all sorts of goodies to take back to Senegal.


...or the group of people who pooled their money to fly me home for Christmas one year.


...or how about the lady who gave me a car. YES! ...a CAR! Why? Because she wanted to bless me and my ministry.


...or the couple who let me stay rent free for 5 weeks during my ESL internship, blessed me with food, a major repair job on my car, and supported my ministry in Senegal.


...or the countless men, women, children, churches, small groups, etc. who supported me financially while I was on the mission field. 

And while I'd love to show you every one of their photos, I'm refraining for their privacy. But they know who they are :)

More recently, I came back to America and got a wonderful job in a city rich with historic significance. 



I got my Master's Degree.


I went to my first Navy football game. We won by the way :)


I learned the value of Skype when dealing with long distance friendships :)


I found a new "home" church.


I became a Certified Minister with the Assemblies of God.


I hung out with friends.


I spent a lot of time at airports and in the clouds :)


I reunited with old friends from high school.


I spent lots of time at farmer's markets :)


I spent time with family.







And most of all...

I've tried to live my life in such a way that honors my Savior. I've tried to have faith in Him who created me. I've tried to give Him the reigns to my life.

Have I failed? Of course. Quite often, unfortunately.

But I've yet to give up. 

And even more importantly than that...

He's yet to give up on me :)


And now to end on a funny note... Here's hoping the meme below doesn't hold true for me in the next 6 years and beyond :)

No comments:

Post a Comment