Thursday, July 30, 2015

6 Years Ago Today...

remember the flight just like it was yesterday. It was the only time I was able to make a direct flight (i.e. no layovers) from the U.S. to Senegal. So needless to say, it was a long flight, full of time to sit and think.



I remember boarding the plane, being grateful for the empty seat next to mine so I could stretch out a little. I remember feeling a sense of nervousness deep in my stomach, wondering what my future held. I remember the lights being turned off as night time came and clutching my Bible to my chest and falling asleep that way. 

And then...

6 years ago today I stepped off the plane in Dakar, Senegal, West Africa for the very first time. And while the nerves were still there, a new feeling had been added. 


I couldn't explain how, but I truly felt I was home.


I remember my then roommate and our then school director picking me up from the airport. I remember driving up to my apartment building for the first time, taking a quick nap, and then heading to Dakar Academy for the first time too. 



I remember teaching at DA. I remember all the smiling faces that came through my classroom doors. I remember boys and girls who taught me almost as much as I taught them for 5 years.



I remember students whose short time in my care impacted my life more than they'll ever know.



I think back over those 5 years and I remember exploring the city, being in awe of bright colors, sandy terrain, and  interesting buildings. 






I remember loving trips to the fruit/veggie stands, getting my fill of deliciously fresh fruits and veggies. Mangoes anyone? :)

 






I remember trips to the Saturday market (although I liked the Monday market better), to outdoor clothing markets, and to the touristy artisan market too





I remember the food. Cheb and yassa and nems and... All of it so delicious :)





I remember the people. Oh the people... I remember their kindness and hospitality. I remember their love and generosity. I remember their smiles and kind words. I remember their beauty.




I remember co-workers, bosses, and friends.






I remember visits to churches. I remember worshipping with fellow believers, each in our own language, all praising the one true God.




I remember so many goodbyes. I remember learning how hard saying goodbye really is. Seeing those suitcases each time was always bittersweet because they meant both sad goodbyes and happy hellos.


I remember churches and families and individuals who partnered with me along the way, supporting my ministry in Senegal.




I have so many memories from my time in Senegal. Mention the country and I will immediately have a flood of memories fill my brain.





It's hard to believe it's been 6 years since that day. So much has changed since then. 


I'm no longer in Senegal. And while I love that country I called home for 5 years and would love to go back, God clearly has other plans for me. 

When will I go back?

I don't know. God has the master plan and He hasn't filled me in yet. 

And honestly, I feel my time in the U.S. has only just begun. I feel God wants me here for a while.

Lately I've had an incredibly strong desire to "set roots" and reconnect with my home country, the country of my birth, the country I love and am proud to be a part of - the good ol' USA :)


But whether I'm here or there, I can pray. 

I can pray for the Senegalese believers, that God would strengthen their faith and give them the boldness to win their brothers and sisters for Christ. 


I can pray for the missionaries in Senegal - that God would bless their ministries and that He'd provide open doors and minds and hearts to hear the truth about the one true God.


And I can pray for the Senegalese who do not yet know Jesus as their personal Savior. I can pray that their ears will hear and their hearts will accept the Truth of the one true God.


So who knows what the next 6 years holds? 

I don't know, but we'll see :)

No comments:

Post a Comment