Friday, May 22, 2015

Just to clarify...


I've received quite a few questions since I started announcing my Senegal countdown updates. So I thought I'd answer a few of the questions here...

What's the big deal with Senegal?

For those who don't know, here's a bit of my history. Almost 10 years ago, God called me to be a missionary to Africa. I didn't know when. I didn't know where. I didn't know what I'd be doing. But I knew eventually it would happen. Fast forward to July 30, 2009. This was the day I stepped off the plane in Dakar, Senegal, West Africa for the first time. At that very moment, I knew, without a shadow of a doubt, that I was home. I loved it there! Yes, there were days that I missed sweet home Alabama, but for the majority of the time, I truly did love it! I was there for 5 years and came back to the States this past June.

If you loved it so much, why'd you come back then? 

Multiple reasons... But to save time, let's just discuss the biggest one.


That's my dad. He was quite the fighter, having fought his way back from kidney cancer, multiple heart attacks, multiple stints, multiple open heart surgeries, pancreatitis, peritonitis, a septic gall bladder, etc. But around the time I'd made the decision to take a year off from Senegal and raise more financial support, etc., my dad started getting sicker.

So I decided to put my plans for going back on hold for a few years. This way I could assist my parents, by helping out with my dad, and helping with financial support as well, since neither of my parents were able to work anymore.

So why are you going back now?

As anyone who's read my blog recently knows, my dad passed away a month ago. 

And my last day for work here in Selma is today (*insert my happy dance here*). So I saved up throughout the year and decided to go for a visit this summer.

How long will you be staying?

Only 2 weeks. Actually it's 13 days, counting travel days. So not long...

What are you going to do while you're there?

That's a good question. One I honestly don't know an exact answer to. And since I'm deciding not to make a lot of plans, that may stay my answer for a while longer... :) 

But I do know I'll be helping my former co-workers finish out their school year. I've also offered my assistance to a friend, packing for her move back to the States this summer. And I'd also like to visit some other co-workers to check out the "village" (city) where they live and get a feel for the ministry our organization is doing for the people who live there. And while I'm there, I plan to get some of my own things out of storage and bring them back home with me. And I'm sure I'll get my fill of super deliciously awesome Senegalese food. I can't wait!! :)

Are you ever planning to go back full-time? When will that be?

Yes. As for when... I'm not sure.

I know God has called me here for at least a couple more years. I need to be a wise steward of my money. Right? Well, my student loan debt is significant. Therefore, I need to keep making payments on that. Unless, of course, anyone super rich is reading this and wants to pay that big ol' bill off for me :)

But seriously, I really don't know when I'll be headed back for good. It all depends on God. All I know, is He's telling me to stay (here), so I'm staying. And whenever He tells me to go, I'll go. 

What are you most looking forward to on this trip?

I can't pick just one thing. ...seeing friends, seeing former students, the sights, the smells, Senegalese food (especially some cheb), visiting the market, visiting the new area co-workers are living/ministering, greetings in Wolof, speaking French, and on and on :)

Is it safe? What about war? Ebola? 

Yes it's safe. As of now, there is no war and no Ebola. :)

How can we, here in the States, help you?

PRAY!

Pray for safety, wisdom/guidance, nice reunions, good health, fun times, and most of all... Pray for God's will to be done and for His name to be glorified through everything I say and do!

What if we want to support Dakar Academy or the Assemblies of God Missionaries you'll be visiting/working with? How can we do that?

Email me at enichols85@gmail.com and I'll be happy to help you out.

No comments:

Post a Comment