Sunday, October 26, 2014

Repeat after me "I am a duck."



Repeat after me - "I am a duck."

What?! Did I just read that correctly? I looked at the page again, expecting to see something different.

Repeat after me - "I am a duck."

Nope. I was right the first time. I couldn't figure out why this would be the advice the woman was giving her friend. Needless to say, I was intrigued.

Repeat after me - "I am a duck."

I read on, ready to see her explanation. 

The two ladies had just sat down for breakfast. One lady was clearly having a hard day. Nothing was going right for her. She was stressed beyond belief. And it was at the very moment that yet another bad thing happened to her that her friend said...

Repeat after me - "I am a duck."

Apparently, when a drop of water hits a duck's feathers, it just rolls off. That duck doesn't care if a drop of a rain hits its back. It just lets the water roll right off and it continues on its merry way.

Repeat after me - "I am a duck."

We are not immune to difficulties in life. 

We get assigned a difficult project at work. We face obstacles in ministry. We watch a loved one suffer with a life threatening illness. Our car breaks down and has to be put in the shop. Unexpected bills come up. And the list goes on...

But we should do as the lady in the story said and say...

"I am a duck."

I am a duck. I will let the difficulties, the stresses, the worries of life roll off my back just like water rolls off the back of a duck. 

So when times get tough, I just need to remember...

Repeat after me - "I am a duck."


FYI - The story I referred to was from Karen Linamen's story in the "Humor for a Friend's Heart Story Collection."

No comments:

Post a Comment