Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Saying Goodbye - The Good and the Bad


In this path of life that God's called me on, traveling is a constant. I counted up the number of round-trip flights I've made between Senegal and the U.S. over the course of the past 5 years, and realized that by the time I finish the one I'm about to make this weekend, that will be 11.

You know what else is a constant? Goodbyes. And do you know what I think of goodbyes?

Yes. Yes they do.

I so hate goodbyes. They really do stink. But since they are a constant part of my life now, I've learned to accept them. And if I'm that sad over saying goodbye, there's a reason. It's like the quote below says...


I'm thankful for all of the amazing memories I have from my time at DA and my first term in Dakar. I'm thankful for memories of friends, of special events, of fun times, of conversations, of students and co-workers, of gifts to last me a lifetime. These memories will last forever. And for that, I'm thankful - oh so thankful...

And I think Winnie the Pooh said it best of all when he said the following...

What a wise bear he was...

BUT you know - Even though goodbyes stink - and boy do they... There can be good in goodbyes. 


By saying goodbye to this chapter in my life, I am able to say hello to starting the new adventure God's called me on. I am able to live in my home country for the first time in 5 years. I am able to reconnect with family, friends, churches, supporters, and others. 

And the BEST "good" in this goodbye...

get to see these cuties (and their Mama, Daddy, Granny, and Pawpaw) tomorrow! And honestly, that is the biggest thing that has got me through all the sad goodbyes I've had to say this week! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment