Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Leaving your comfort zone

What to do Abraham, Moses, the 12 Disciples, Jonah, and so many like them have in common? 
They all left their comfort zones.

That's a scary thing to do. It's called a comfort zone for a reason. It's comfortable. It's safe. It's easy.

But you know... Sometimes, God wants us to do more. He wants us to step out and place our trust and faith in him. And most importantly, He wants us to be more like Him.



For the past 5 years I've been in my comfort zone. I've been teaching at an amazing school with co-workers who've become like family to me. I've been able to do almost all of my ministry in English, leaving me only having to speak French when I'd do shopping or taking a taxi or something equally simple. And God's moved. My little mission field of a classroom has seen close to 60 students come and go, not counting the students I've taught in Kids Club and students I've mentored over the years. I've led kids through the Sinner's Prayer. I've prayed for or illnesses and sadnesses, and all sorts of things. I've seen God's hand at work in the lives of many families. 

I don't say that to brag. I say that to say... It became my comfort zone. It was easy. And I loved it :) 



But God had other plans. Back in February, I wrote a post telling all about how God had suddenly called me out of my comfort zone, leading me to a new ministry here in Senegal. *If you missed it, you can read it here. And while this upcoming change is a scary one, it's so exciting. I felt like the fish in the picture above - jumping out into the big unknown. I can't wait to see what God has in store for me up ahead!


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I periodically write posts on The Skybridge Blog, "a blog written by expats, frequent travelers and regular businessmen and women who understand that God is using them to advance His glory among the nations." And today I wrote on the same topic as this post... Leaving Your Comfort Zone. Want to read it? Click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment