Friday, February 28, 2014

My Big News

About 4 1/2 years ago, I started this blog. I was fairly recent college graduate and had recently finished my first teaching assignment in the States.


In my first post, I highlighted some of the feelings I was experiencing, as I prepared for moving to Dakar, Senegal for the first time. Two days before I left, I wrote my first of many letters to my supporters, informing them of how God had called me to missions and to Dakar.


God called me to work at Dakar Academy, a K-12 international Christian school in Dakar, Senegal, West Africa. I couldn't believe it! It was hard to leave my family and all things familiar behind, but I knew God was calling me on a new adventure in life. And I knew, as I wrote in this post, that God would be with me every step of the way.

Later that year, I wrote a post, entitled, "Home."In the last paragraph of this post, I said,

"On July 30, 2009 that all changed. At a little before 6 a.m. that morning I stepped off the plane in Dakar, Senegal and honestly at the moment my feet touched the ground I knew something…I knew I was home. Home is where God calls me to be. Home is where the heart is. And Dakar is where my heart is. Will God change that one day? Possibly…I don’t know. But for now, this is my home. And I couldn’t be happier!"



For the past 4.5 years, I have thoroughly enjoyed my job at Dakar Academy. I have seen many different students come through my classroom doors. I have taught them the usual education subjects. I have taught them manners. I have taught them social skills. I have taught them about the love of Jesus.

But you know... I believe those students have taught me just as much, if not more than I have taught them. I have learned how to be a better teacher, a better missionary, and a better person as a result of these kids. I am so incredibly grateful for the lessons that these kids have taught me. I'm so blessed to have had them in my life. It's these kids that I'll miss most as I prepare to embark on the newest adventure God's called me on.

...just a few of the many, many kids that have impacted my life while teaching at Dakar Academy
I knew God had not called me to work at Dakar Academy forever. I knew a time would come eventually when God would call me away.

A few months ago, I began feeling a stirring in my spirit. I felt that God was leading me away from my ministry at Dakar Academy. At the time, I felt it would be a few years down the road. I thought I'd continue teaching ESL at DA, gaining experience that would help me later on, since I felt that was the direction the Lord was taking my ministry. I continued to pray. I sought advice from my missions supervisors and others. And they joined me in prayer.

Fast forward a few months. I get an email from a fellow A/G Senegal missionary, informing me of a new Live Dead team that will be forming just outside of Dakar, and asking me if I would pray about and consider joining with them, teaching English. How could this man know that I had talked to my best friend just 2 days earlier, telling her that I felt God was leading me to leave DA sooner than I thought?! How could he know that I was praying for something like this WITHOUT knowing what exactly I was praying for?! He didn't. But God did. I promised to pray about it and let him know something soon and then I set out on an intense time of prayer and seeking God's guidance for my life.

The next week we had our annual Spiritual Emphasis Week at school, where this amazingly anointed speaker challenged our middle and high school students to LISTEN to God, and to LIVE LOVE. From the moment the guy opened his mouth, I sat in almost disbelief. It was as if he was speaking directly to me. I went home from school the first day and had a mini argue session with God. There's no way I can leave DA. I love it here. I finally know what I'm doing as an ESL teacher. My students are great. My co-workers are great. Life is great. It's comfortable...

Hmm... It's comfortable. That's when God stopped my rant. Of course it's comfortable. It's easy. But sometimes you have to step out of your comfort zone and do more. I called you to DA for a season - not for a lifetime. Your ministry there has gone well. But the time has come. It was at that very moment that I knew it. I knew my time at DA was up.

The following is an excerpt from an email I wrote a missionary friend, telling her of the news.


"I know that leaving DA and joining the team and working at the centre would be a huge step so I knew that I wanted to be 100% certain that it was God's will that it happens and not just me "liking the idea". Well we're having Spiritual Emphasis Week here at school this week and you know,  I totally feel this speaker was sent for me and not just the kids. I know that God spoke to me, more than once, Monday and then again yesterday, as plain as day, saying "Go!" I kind of dismissed it and then the guy was saying something about arguing with God and in my heart I knew that's what I was doing. I knew God was telling me to Go and I'm basically arguing, asking for one more sign and one more sign. I know this is what He's called me to do. And you know... I must admit it's a little scary. But that's good, right? :)

That night another friend, who knew nothing about this current situation, sent me the following picture. Talk about good timing...


So I discussed it with my missions supervisors, got the official go-ahead for starting my transition into a new assignment with the A/G and notified DA the next day. I won't lie. It was hard. I love working at DA. I love those kids, my co-workers, my ministry here. I love it all. But, one good thing about working in an environment where I do... We all understand the calling of God and how that can sometimes change. 

I'm so thankful for the support of my co-workers, family, friends, and supporters. This new assignment is going to be big. Here's a copy of my latest newsletter, highlighting what I'll be doing in the region of Guediawaye, off the coast of Dakar.

I'll be working with a group of fabulous people, working to reach the Wolof people, using my ESL training, by teaching English, and I will be doing my best to live out these principles.


Thanks for joining me in this new adventure God's called me on. I truly covet your prayers. I've been blessed the past 4 1/2 years to have a such a small budget, due to the fact that DA provides so much for their staff. Therefore, my missions' budget will be increasing dramatically. I will be heading back to the States in June to begin my time of itineration, when I will be traveling, speaking at churches, meeting with people, all the while, sharing my heart for missions and the Wolof people of Senegal. My goal is to get my funds raised in a year, so I can hurry back to my adopted home and get started on the new work God's called me to do.

Will you help me pray for...
  • open doors for services and meetings needed to raise my missions support
  • boldness in sharing the joy I have for missions and the Wolof people
  • a teaching job for while I'm in the States (While I'm fundraising, my usual monthly support will be applied towards the "cash support" I need to raise. This will be a huge help since my cash support is such a high amount. Therefore, I've been granted permission to work a separate job to pay for my living expenses in the U.S. and to help pay off my student loans!)
    • more specifically...a job near my parents. Due to my father's declining health, I'd really love to be able to live with, or at least near, my parents. I truly believe God's giving me this time to help my parents and be able to serve them for a change, rather than the other way around.
  • continued favor and support coming in for my colleagues, also working to get to Senegal.
  • open hearts and minds in the Wolof people of Senegal. According to the Joshua Project's research, the Wolof are over 98% Musl*m and only 1% Christian. 
Thank you! Jerejef! 

No comments:

Post a Comment