Tuesday, October 29, 2013

30 by 30 Update

I was looking back through old blog posts and realized I have yet to write a 30 by 30 update post. I made my list 6 months ago. Want to see that original post? Click here.

A line drawn through an item (and a date in red ink) means I've already accomplished it. Words in italics beside an item mean I've started it, but haven't finished for some reason or another (...explained in the italics). 


Here we go. As of today, my updated 30 by 30 list looks like this...


  • Graduate with my Master's Degree. May 11, 2013
  • Receive my Certified Minister's Status with the A/G. *I only have 2 more courses and then I'll be finished with this.
  • Receive my Licensed Minister's Status with the A/G.
  • Teach ESL. I started this August 14, 2013
  • Pay off (or drastically reduce) my student loan debt.
  • Lose ___ pounds. Yes, I left the blank there for a reason. I know how much I want to lose. But I don't feel the need to post the actual number for the world to see. *I've started working towards this goal, but am giving myself until my 30th birthday to finish.
  • Wear a size ___ or smaller. And yes, I realize I left the blank here.  *I've started working towards this goal, but am giving myself until my 30th birthday to finish.
  • Run a 5K (...as in, not jogging/walking like before).
  • Run a 10K.
  • Visit New York City. June 2013
  • Visit Washington, D.C. June 2013
  • Go on a road trip with my mom. August 4-9, 2013
  • Go to Disney World. *My mom and I went to Animal Kingdom on August 6, 2013, but I still haven't made it to Disney World, itself.
  • Visit New Orleans. (...well, as an adult, I mean. I really don't remember a lot of our time living there when I was a kid.) July 2013
  • Spend Christmas Break in Africa. *I'll get to mark this one off this year! :)
  • Experience a real winter, complete with snow (and lots of it). 
  • Start driving in Dakar. It's not that I can't. I have just chosen not to drive here. 
  • Read more books for fun. I read a lot for my job (both parts - missions and teaching). I read for my own schooling. I just don't read a lot for fun.  All year - I've been reading more on the weekends and on nights when I don't have as much work to do.
  • Start being willing to say "no" more. Stop saying "yes" so much. I agree to do/help with a lot. And usually I don't mind. But sometimes, I agree to it even when I know I don't have the time to do so. Then something else ends up suffering. I've got to realize that it's sometimes okay to say "no." *I've gotten a little better at this, but not better enough to justify marking this one off just yet.
  • Do better at meal planning/grocery shopping.  *I'm editing this one. See next item...
  • Meal plan each week for 6 months straight. Don't veer from that (unless if invited to someone's house or out to eat). 
  • Invite people over at least once a month for 6 months straight.
  • Read the entire Bible twice (once a year). *I'm almost done with 2013. So yay for being half done! :)
  • Journal through the entire Bible twice (once a year). *I'm almost done with 2013. So yay for being half done! :)
  • Teach a class, lead a devotion, Bible Study (something...) totally in French.  *I'm editing this one. See next item...
  • Lead an adult English class. *Plans are in the works...
  • Make homemade bread.
  • Get re-certified in CPR and First Aid. 
  • Take a sign language class.
  • Try at least 30 new recipes (and blog about them).
  • Get rid of clothes that are too old/faded (thanks to the harsh sun and dust here) or are too big. Quit keeping things thinking I'll want them one day.
  • Blog my 30 by 30 achievements.*I'm editing this one too. See next item...
  • Blog updates for all of the 30 by 30 items. *I think this one will be easier to keep. :)

  • And just as I said in my original 30 by 30 post,
     I'd love to be able to add "get married" and "have a baby" to the list, but those are pretty much out of my control at this point in my life. I can't really make those happen like I can the others. But ideally, they'd be pretty close to the top of my list :)

    No comments:

    Post a Comment