Saturday, May 25, 2013

10 Years


It seems like just yesterday I was wearing that green cap & gown, sitting with my friends, getting ready to walk across the stage and accept my diploma.


This past week marked 10 years since I graduated high school. It seems a little unreal that this is even possible. Where did those ten years go? As a trip down (my) memory lane...

In 2004, I went on my first short-term (2 week) mission trip to the Canary Islands. Then, the following year, I went to South Africa. That’s where I felt the call to one day serve full time in Africa.


2008 was a big year for me.


I watched my baby brother get married to the love of his life. I couldn’t have hand-picked a better wife for him. They are so perfect for each other! I pray that one day I can have even half the love the two of them share.

I also graduated from the University of Montevallo with a degree in Elementary & Special Education.



I was blessed to get a job teaching Special Education for the remainder of the school year at the school where I did my internship. I loved it. I could’ve seen myself staying there forever. But God had other plans.


On July 29, 2009, after packing up the majority of what I owned, my dad and I loaded up my car with 4 suitcases, 1 carry-on, and 1 backpack and headed to Atlanta to the airport.


My aunt and cousin met us there and I got to experience the first of many many goodbyes I’ve endured (and will endure) as a result of this career path I’ve been called to. I would say this is the biggest sacrifice of what I do. I know others would agree. Having to say those goodbyes/see ya laters so much is definitely difficult. But… I love what I do. And knowing that God’s called me to do this job makes it so much easier.

The next day (July 30th), I landed in Dakar, Senegal, West Africa. I went to my classroom right away and couldn’t wait to get started as a teacher at Dakar Academy in Dakar, Senegal. Over this time, I’ve taught some of the coolest kids I know :) I so love my job!!


In June 2010, I was commissioned as a Missionary Associate with the Assemblies of God and spent my first summer (with many more to come) traveling to share my heart for Senegal and Dakar Academy with many different churches, pastors, men, women, boys, and girls


I have so thoroughly enjoyed teaching at this school. I feel like God’s brought some of the most amazing people in my life while being here. I know the time to leave will come one day. But for now…I am so very happy where I am!

On August 8, 2012 at 9:26 p.m., my time, (the same day I landed back in Dakar after a summer with my family), I got the most amazing text message from my brother. It said…

“I’m a DADDY!!!! DAISY OLIVIA NICHOLS is HERE!!!!!!!!!” and it included the picture below.


I ran next door and told my neighbor who cheered and cried tears of happiness with me :) I was so excited to add the status of “aunt” to my life. Aunt Lizzie sounded like the best name ever. This beautiful little girl made me Aunt Lizzie!

I had to wait 4 long months to meet her. And that day was the BEST day ever - the day my brother and sister-in-law pulled off the biggest, best surprise ever by showing up at the airport with my niece to welcome me home! :)


The hardest goodbye as of yet was the one I had to say to that beautiful baby girl a few weeks after meeting her. But thanks to Skype and a steady stream of emails including pictures/videos, I've been able to watch her grow.

Earlier this month, (after 3 1/2 long years) I graduated with my Master's degree in Teaching English as a Second Language. So now you can add a M.Ed. after my name. :) Ha! 


It was hard not being able to walk across that stage and have them hand me my diploma after working that long and hard on it. But, I was thankful for good friends and co-workers who helped me celebrate. In fact, my graduation celebrating lasted 2 weekends in a row! :)


So where did the time go? Well, in the past 10 years, I've done what the quote above says. I'm made time for what was important. I've served my Savior to the best of my ability. I've loved my family. I've been a good friend. I've moved a few thousand miles and an ocean away from all things familiar so I could follow the call God's placed on my life. I've gotten my dream job of being a teacher. I've taught 5 different classrooms full of unique, fun students.


These past 10 years have been great! And I cannot wait to see what God has in store in the next 10 years - and beyond :)

No comments:

Post a Comment